Monday, January 9, 2012

Stop the Presses!!

*Please be aware this is a rant. If you do not want to be sucked into a negative vortex of words (possible profanity), that may induce anger and frustration exit NOW!*

Reviews! Oh, those sweet, possibly knife slicing 4-5 paragraphs that give readers an inside idea of a book. They're maddening to write at times, as I never want to describe 2 books the same way. It's a challenge and an art, in my humble opinion, to write something constructive and enlightening (too much thought process on this, I know).

What pisses me off though is when people say they'll review something, and then don't. It kills me! Slays me! Don't sign up for the book then. Let someone else review it.

I'm not perfect! I know this, and I know that my time is usually cut short by a million and one other things. Including the fact that I have about 5 minutes to type this and then I need to go to bed. *Growls* But when I'm not on top of my game, I try (with every piece of moral fiber I have) to communicate my potential delay. To make the site owners I'm reviewing for know what is preventing the post.

To be honest, I don't know if other reviewers do this or not. I do know that if you're going to request a book from an author, Netgalley, or a review site owner then you damn well better review it! Don't waste people's time with false platitudes, and bullshit. In general authors and review site owners are very understanding. Hell, we all know that reviewing is a chunk of free time. There's no payment for the online blog reviewer, except the unique opportunity to read a book (possibly) before it's released. *Note: there may be other ways to earn some bucks, but I don't employ them*

Okay, I feel better and I didn't even use my favorite word.

Bottom line: Your word is your bond. In the online universe I can't say it enough. Even a picture of your face doesn't change the fact that what you type into these little boxes, on Twitter, email, or Facebook is ultimately a judge of your character. If you can't honor your word, promises, or commitments in this word-laden space. Then how in the fuck (oops!) can you expect others to rely on you outside of a computer.

*Friendly reminder- I'm not perfect. I make mistakes. But with every mistake I own it, and resolve to make sure it doesn't happen in the future*

No comments:

Post a Comment